I surveyed my newsletter subscribers recently to find out how many of them were planning to give their homes a spring cleaning. Those who responded that they would not be doing any spring cleaning cited lack of time as the #1 reason.
Also consider hiring out jobs such as carpet cleaning and window cleaning. Professionals can do the job faster and better. As for everything else...
- Set your goals. Determine what really needs to be done now.
- Start in high-traffic areas where you can make a big impact such as kitchen, bathrooms, floors, and windows.
- Remove clutter from floors, coffee tables, and other horizontal surfaces before you start cleaning.
- Gather up your cleaning supplies and tools in a bucket or caddy so you have everything you need in one place.
- Don’t fight gravity. Clean each room from top to bottom: ceilings first and floors last.
- Invest in a couple of microfiber cloths for streak-free, lint-free cleaning of hard surfaces.
- Let cleaners do the work for you. Allow sprays to really penetrate surfaces; dirt and stains will wipe away quicker and easier.
- Clean your toilet while you sleep! This is my favorite cleaning tip: Pour your choice of cleaning product in the toilet before going to bed. In the morning, just brush and flush.
- Don’t waste time doing things like washing walls if all you really need to do is spot clean marks.
- Get family members involved to get the job done faster. Give little ones a couple of worn out socks to put on their hands and put them to work dusting baseboards, table and chair legs.
- Reward yourself for a job well done.