Follow these tips for helping to keep your home pest-free:
- Wipe all spills immediately with soapy water. Using just a wet cloth could leave a scent that attracts pests.
- Keep countertops dry. Ants and roaches need only a limited water supply to survive, and the smallest patch could be an oasis for these pests.
- Keep trash cans closed. Lingering smells can attract pests and an open container could serve as a breeding ground.
- Store food in sealed containers. Mice and rats can chew through cardboard.
- Beat the bedbugs if you travel. Check hotel headboards, mattresses and box springs for bedbugs and dark blood spots. Hang all clothing. Leave nothing lying on the bed or furniture. Store luggage far from the bed. When you get home, leave luggage outside until it’s been thoroughly inspected.
If you suspect a pest problem or you want to prevent one, call a professional.
The Housekeeping Channel (HC), a for-profit educational LLC, provides the information on HousekeepingChannel.com as a free service to the public. The intent is to disseminate accurate, verified and science-based information on cleaning and housekeeping.
While an effort is made to ensure the quality of the content and credibility of sources listed on this site, HC provides no warranty - expressed or implied - and assumes no legal liability for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product or process disclosed on or in conjunction with the site. The views and opinions of the authors or originators expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of HC: its principals, executives, Board members, advisors or affiliates.